Join us for We Move Forward 2016 and celebrate Internation Women's Day on Isla Mujeres!  
For real-time updates, follow us on Facebook
Sharing La Isla
Isla Mujeres information Sharing
Isla Mujeres Q&A Board Isla Q&A Board
Message Board Isla Chatter Board
Trip Calendar Trip Calendar
Isla Mujeres Recipies Isla Recipes
Isla Mujeres Postcards e-Postcards
User Stories Isla Stories
Isla Mujeres Photos User Photos

Vacation Journal
| Isla Stories Main Page | Add or Update Your Stories |

Trip Report Feb 26-March 5: Days 1 and 2

By: Kasha68 (View Profile)
Date: 3/8/2010

Wow, what a fun island. But it was pretty chilly and pretty windy for many of the days we were there. Good thing I brought a sweater, long pants and a jacket..needed them for many of the mornings and evenings! This was our first trip to Isla. Not sure how to upload photos for this trip report so if I find a way, I will get those posted too.

Day 1--Flew into Cancun. As directed by so many people, we were told to just keep on walking through until you see the Best Day sign. We used Best Day to get from the airport to the Ferry and I would recommend this company. We had a newer suburban all to ourselves (and didnt expect that!). Headed straight to the Ferry, with instructions on when to be back for pick up after our trip was over. We purchased our Ferry Tickets and just missed the Ferry, so we waited for the next one, which was only a small wait (20-30 minutes).. The weather was sunny, but it was windy--still better than Minnesota! Rode on top of the Ferry and listened to some guitar music from a local gentleman. Nice trip over to the island. When we arrived, the other couples that were already there greeted us with beers in hand, and they showed us to our hotel (Posada del Mar--which was a nice place to stay). After checking into the hotel, and getting settled, we met the group at JAX for a few buckets of Coronas and some appetizers. Jax is fine, but its more like a sports bar than anything. After Jax, we stepped across the street to head to the beach to see the first of many beautiful sunsets.

We ate our first meal at Picas on the beach. Toes in the sand dining...great! I had a mojito which was pretty tasty, and the garlic shrimp. Outstanding. My boyfriend had Red Snapper which was also very tasty--and huge! After dinner, we walked through the stretts and took in the sights and smells of everything. Some in the group wanted to sample goodies at the street vendors near the public market, so we headed that way. Got a nice song from Gregoria (I think its his name) I didnt try anything from the vendors as I was still stuffed from the shrimp meal but it sure smelled tasty. The weather was kind of chilly on Day 1, (and being from Minnesota, we are used to the cold..but not in Mexico!!) so we all made sure we had our sweaters with us. However, we did manage to eat some coconut ice cream with kahluha at a restaurant--I want to say it was Don Chepos but since it was my first night, it was a bit of a blur!

We then headed back to Jax as they were having live music fundraiser for the Yellow School House. Excellent 2 man band. Since my boyfriend and I had been up since 4am traveling, we headed to bed around midnight. I think the band played on a while longer.

Day 2: Sunny morning...and yes, windy. Got up around 7am to have the first our two breakfasts! We ate the first breakfast at The Rooster. We split a platter of Divorced Eggs, I also had fresh orange juice which was great, and coffee, which tasted a little weaker than in America, but still just fine. We walked along the boardwalk and throughout the town, watching as vendors began to set up for the day. Around 10am, we met our friends for the 2nd breakfast at Elements. Excellent breakfast. I had the egg BLT and another fresh OJ. After breakfast, we walked along the boardwalk, over to Avalon. We contemplated staying here, but decided against it, based on the reviews it received. It was nice to look at it and when we toured the area, we wondered if maybe we should have stayed here--but then a few days later, we ran into some folks who were staying there and they said they were really disappointed.

Well, off we go to Sergios for guac and beer. It was still very windy... so windy this day that it felt as if we were getting sandblasted when we were on the beach. Sergios was a little more protected so we sat there for a while, then headed to Bally Hoos for more eating. (notice pattern-- eat, drink, sleep, repeat..very nice!) Bally Hoos is a GREAT place for the fish tacos and marguiritas. We also had their shrimp ceviche. It wasnt bad, but I had better at other places later in the week. Still excellent place to chill out. We watched the boats come in and asked how fishing was--not the best due to the wind and waves. After Bally Hoo, we walked a little more in the down town area and check out the vendors. After doing some window shopping, we decided to meet back for dinner and parted ways. My boyfriend and I went back to the hotel bar and sat having another drink, watching the people drive and walk by. Very relaxing. Small siesta, then clean up to go out. Dinner that night was very good--we ate at a small family restaurant on Hildagos. I want to say Amigos...darn memory! It was a fun evening.

After dinner it was time to hit a night club to listen to live Salsa music at a night club--maybe Nitrox Club? I was so taken by the fact I was here that I forgot to pay attention to where the group was going! AFter a little drinking and people watching it was time for bed.

Next, Days 3-4 to be posted soon

Promote your Business with Us!

View our Site Map or Privacy Statement

Copyrightę 2020 All rights reserved.